What Is Kojic Acid Powder?
Kojic Acid is a potent skin lightener, that has been used by the Japanese and others in Asian countries for decades. It lightens the skin by inadvertently inhibiting tyrosinase activity. In addition to its skin lightening benefits, it also has anti-microbial properties. It is a natural, and effective alternative to hydroquinone.
It gives the skin complexion a more pale-white complexion and when paired with the likes of Alpha Arbutin, the skin lightening effects is generally much more potent.
Guidance & Precautions
To add Kojic Acid powder to your skin lightening cream or natural brightening lotion, it takes a simple 4 step process.
1. Ensure all your ingredients ready. 1) Any base cream (skin brightening/lightening lotions work best) 2) Kojic Acid powder 3) Vegetable Oil. You will also require two pots (a smaller and a larger one) to mix and dissolve the powder with the oil.
2) Mix 1-2teaspoon (about 5-10 grams) in with a small amount of vegetable oil or any oil. Glycerin can also be used. Do not use water. Place the mixture into a stainless steel pot, and use the double boiling method. Place the pot on top of another pot with warm water under heat. Mix, and wait until the powder has fully dissolved with the oil (it should not be grainy or powdery).
3) The mixture will take on a buttery, creamy color. Once the mixture is clear, you will know the powder has fully dissolved.
4) Add the fully dissolved powder (with the oil) into your base lotion until it's fully mixed together. Add a little at a time, until it's all completely absorbed.
Voila, you have just turned an ordinary brightening lotion, into a potent skin lightening lotion which you can use for at least 6 months. Repeat the process as you wish. Adding Alpha Arbutin powder will increase the potency of the lotion.
Kojic Acid, like Alpha Arbutin does not have many side effects, and is generally safe for most people.
However, this product is not intended for internal use. Do not add the powder to products containing lactic acid, or AHAs as this can affect the pH balance of the lotion. If redness, itching, or irritation occurs, discontinue use immediately.
Facts about Kojic Acid Powder
1. Kojic acid has a tendency to oxidize over time. Add Vitamin E oil to reduce oxidation.
2. Kojic Acid tends to whiten the skin, to pale-white tone, not a yellow tone.
3. Skin lightening results are generally observed over time with consistent daily or twice-daily use.
4. Aim to use your DIY skin lightening lotion within a 6 month time period.
5. Kojic Acid Powder is soluble in water and oil, but aim to use oil for the best results.
6. Adding about a teaspoon (6-10grams) to a 4ounce lotion will create a 5-10% Kojic Acid Formulation. Do not add more than that.
Get Email Exclusive Discounts
(Spam? Nope. we play by the rules)
Disclaimer: Products sold by SHCGlutathione and Co. or it's accredited distributors are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease.
Find out more about how the FDA supports and regulates the sale of supplements. Learn more.